Massage therapy is becoming more popular because, aside from its proven benefits, it also comes with deep relaxation and enjoyment as results of the therapeutic treatment. However, massage therapy can be expensive, especially if you want to do it regularly or daily. The price also depends on the quality and type of the chosen massage therapy method.
If you’re one of those, who want to experience massages regularly but cannot afford frequent visits to spas and massage clinics, one of the best ways is to have your own portable massage devices. Having your own massage device at home has a lot of benefits. One of those is that you can rest and relax in a more peaceful environment. Aside from that, you can also choose the appropriate device that suits the spots you need to work on.
If you’re looking into buying your own massage device, you might be overwhelmed with the wide varieties being offered in the market. Before you go and buy one, you need to know first the different types of massage devices, for you to know the best one that will cater to your needs. To help you, here are the different types of massage techniques and devices.
Different Types of Massage Techniques
Before we give you the list of massage devices, you need to be familiar first with the massage techniques. This will enable you to understand the specific location in the body each massage device is aimed towards.
- Vibration Massage: This type of massage is intense, and it is aimed at vibrating stress away from the tissues and muscles. The speed and intensity of vibration are measured by pulse rate, and it is usually adjustable. Any organ of the body can be given a vibrational massage. You just need to lessen the intensity in the sensitive organs.
- Shiatsu Massage: This is a Japanese massage that can help in relaxing muscles and tissues, allowing you to release tension and strain in the muscles. There are handheld mechanical devices and massage chairs that offer shiatsu. They are available for back, neck, legs, feet, and shoulders.
- Compression Massage: This type of massage involves pressing and stretching of muscles to mend blood circulation. Leg and foot massagers that use air compression are commonly used to soothe the nerves, reduce swelling, and press pressure points.
- Swedish Massage: This one is a more relaxing way of massaging with less force and energy. Massage devices that offer this technique work on the nerves, helping you calm your central nervous system. They are usually soft rollers that move vertically along your body.
- Kneading Massage: This type of massage involves squeezing and compressing the tissues under the bones alternately. It can stimulate blood circulation, detoxify the body, heal scars, injuries, and swellings, and as well as energize the organs.
- Reflexology: This technique focuses on the feet because it is believed that our feet are connected to every organ of the body. There are lots of electronic foot massagers that have the concept of reflexology
- Rolling Massage: This type of massage applies constant pressure that often rolls up and down vertically on the spine for a deep massage experience.
- Spot Massage: This massage has a medium intensity, and it focuses on one particular area.
- Percussion Massage: This one involves rapid movements that are usually performed on a specific body part for a short time. This is best if you want to relax tense muscles such as on your neck and shoulders.
Different Types of Massage Devices
Now that you know some of the most common types of massage techniques, we are giving you the different types of massage devices that can give you these techniques even when you’re just at home. A massage device is a tool that can do the work of a massage therapist. Most of them are run by batteries or electricity. They also use different techniques such as compression, vibration, and heating, to give you an efficient massage, just like when you go to spas and massage clinics.
Here are the different types of massage devices you can have at home:
Reflexology Foot Massager
Most reflexology foot massagers you can buy come with a user guide. They will enable you to adjust the speed and intensity of the massage through its various massage modes you can control. This device can help in massaging your sole or ankles. Many reflexology foot massagers also come with remote control for more convenient use.
Shiatsu Massage Cushion
A Shiatsu massage cushion is a light, portable, and adjustable massage device. It uses the Shiatsu massage technique to massage your back, shoulders, neck, and legs. It depends on where you want to place it.
Shiatsu Massaging Seat
Another device is the Shiatsu massaging seat. It is an adjustable seat that you can place on a chair or sofa. It follows the principle of a Shiatsu massage. The seat features rollers that move along your spine. You can use this massaging seat while working or watching TV in the living room.
Deep Tissue Heat Massager
This massage device is for the neck and shoulder. A deep tissue heath massager provides a strong, deep tissue massage to calm the nerves and heal muscles. It features nods that penetrate deep to release pain, stiffness, and strain of muscles. They get heated as they massage you, making the process smoother as the heat gets absorbed by your body.
Handheld Massage Devices
Handheld massage devices are small devices that can be moved around the part of your body that requires massage. These devices are ideal to be used if you have an injury or joint problem. Most of these devices offer kneading and deep tissue massages that can help in healing injuries, scars, muscle pain, and joint paint.
Leg and Foot Compression Massager
This type of massage device uses air compression to press your legs and feet. Leg and foot compression massagers are one of the most commonly used massage devices. Aside from pressing the sides of your feet using compression and vibration, it also massages your ankles and heels to relax them. It can also help in improving blood circulation.
Percussion Massage Chair
A percussion massage chair can be the ultimate massage device you can have at home. They can provide massage to your entire back, and it also has a leg and foot massagers attached to it. It is a separate and large chair that you can install in your home at your convenience.
A massage mat also comes with percussion massagers and vibrational massage techniques. It is spread on the floor, giving you a full body massage at once. However, you need to avoid placing your head on it as it can be too hard for it.
These are the different types of massage devices you can have at home. Whether you are recovering from an injury or you simply need to relax, having a massage device at home is a great choice. That way, you can have a massage session anytime you want.