A massage technique has been used for a long time ago to relax muscles and even lose weight, it is called vibration massage.
The vibration massage technique is a way of relaxing muscles in which the muscle tissues are continuously pressed and released. This is done by continuous up and down movement for a specific period of time. This process allows the tissues to come back in their shape and get rid of the causes of pain.
This massage can be performed by a therapist or an electronic device. From the very first days, when this method was invented, people used their hands for massaging. In the mid-time of the 19th century, the first mechanical motion device came to the market which performed vibration massage therapy.
The word, vibration comes from the Latin term for “shaker”
The vibration massage technique is a stroke that ranges from quick shaking to rhythmic rocking by moving the heel of the hand, the side of the hand, or the fingertips.
- Static vibrations involve using therapist’s whole hand or part the hand to apply continuous contact with the client’s body without sliding over the client’s skin.
- Running vibrations involves the therapist’s whole hand or part of the hand to apply continuous contact with the client’s body with a slight glide over the client’s skin.
The Vibration Massage technique has a lot of benefits for the human body.
- Relaxation of Body and Mind: In this therapy, a continuous circle of pressure and release makes the muscles move again and again. As a result, the tissues get enough chance to assemble properly. Thus vibration therapy relaxes the sore muscles.
Besides, vibration therapy allows your body to increase the level of serotonin. Serotonin aids you to feel good. Thus this massage method relaxes your mind too.
- Increased Blood Circulation: The vibration in this therapy ensures muscle contraction and expansion again and again. As a result, blood can easily go through the vessels. Besides increasing blood circulation, it boosts the white and red blood cell production inside the body.
As the blood circulation increases, the metabolic system also becomes improved and keeps you healthy.
- Relief from Pain: To reduce pain, vibration massage therapy works great. Pain can happen for several reasons. In almost all cases, pain can be reduced easily using vibration massage technique.
This therapy numbs the pain area. Thus you feel less pain. In the meantime, the muscles of that area become relaxed and try to solve the reason behind the pain naturally.
- Lose a Few Pounds: Vibration massage therapy allows you to lose a few pounds without even trying for it. It increases blood circulation and thus improves the metabolic system. As a result, your body burns calories fast.
After a session of this therapy, your extra calories get burnt fast. Thus you’ll lose weight if you receive the therapy regularly
- Improved Muscle Strength and Mass: Vibration therapy works of different muscles of the body. By increasing blood circulation, it keeps your muscles more active and helps those to maintain contraction. Through a regular therapy process, it increases muscle mass and makes those strong.
- Invigoration: Vibration massage is also used to provide the recipient with a sense of invigoration. Vibrational massage when performed at the end of the session leaves clients feeling less groggy when they get off the table. Light vibration can be performed before a sporting event to stimulate the blood flow and leave the athlete feeling a sense of energy.
Vibration massage technique comes with many benefits for your body. So, when you feel the need, don’t forget to get a massage. It will refresh your body and mind both. But make sure that you’re not in an inappropriate condition. Otherwise, you’ll face side effects that you don’t want.
The effects of massage vibrations can include
- Soothing irritated nerves
- Loosening scar tissue
- Relaxing muscles forearm
- Stimulating circulation
- Stimulating glandular activity
The specific benefits of the massage technique of vibrations depend on where on the body they are applied.
Vibration Massage Technique- when to avoid?
Though this therapy is a great way to get rid of different types of pain and make your muscles relaxed, it is not an appropriate solution for every type of pain. Besides, in a few situations, you shouldn’t receive this massage technique. Let’s know when you should avoid it.
- Lumbar Injury
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Chronic Back Pain or Injury
- Advanced Level of Diabetes
Since vibration massage can be performed by a therapist or an electronic device it is good to note that as early as 1867, Russian physician and inventor Gustav Zander developed an apparatus that used weights and pulleys to create a sense of vibration. Its purpose was therapeutic.
In 1895, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg implemented vibration therapy in his health practice. Using a vibrating chair he developed himself, he claimed it could help improve circulation and alleviate constipation.
During the Russian space program, doctors found that astronauts suffered from bone loss and fractures at a much younger age than normal. They began to use vibration therapy to help strengthen astronauts’ bone mass and muscles. Today, NASA continues to use vibration therapy to help prevent bone loss.
Vibration Therapy- How does it work?
There are two main types of vibration therapy: whole-body and localized.
During whole-body vibration therapy, your therapist will ask you to stand, sit, or lay on a machine supported by a vibrating platform. For example, they may ask you to stand in a half-squat position with your knees bent.
During localized vibration therapy, your therapist will place a hand-held vibrating device on certain parts of your body. For example, they may place it on your calf or thigh muscles.
When the vibrations are transmitted to your body, they cause your muscles to contract and relax. Certain types of vibrations may also cause your body to produce more osteoblasts. These are cells that produce bone.
The direction and intensity of vibrations may determine how well vibration therapy works. Some machines produce only vertical vibrations. Others produce vibrations that go up and down, front and back, and sideways. Up and down vibrations are believed to be the most effective for producing rapid muscle contractions.
What are the health benefits of Vibration Therapy?
Advocates claim that whole-body and localized vibration therapy have a range of health benefits.
- increase bone density
- increase muscle mass
- improve circulation
- reduce joint pain
- reduce back pain
- alleviate stress
- boost metabolism
More or less the benefits of vibration massage technique may it be performed by a therapist or machine is very similar.